An arborist is a trained professional who works on caring, maintaining, and managing a variety of trees, plants, and shrubs. Here at Practical Home, we’re big believers in prioritizing home maintenance and home safety, and that includes the exterior of the home. As a responsible homeowner, being attentive to the area surrounding your home is crucial. Look out for these signs that indicate it's time to call an arborist:
- Unhealthy Trees: If your trees appear weak, have wilting or discolored leaves, or show signs of decay, it's time to seek professional help to assess and address the issue.
- Dangerous Branches: Large or overhanging branches that pose a threat to your property or safety should be handled by an arborist, who can safely remove or prune them.
- Pest Infestations: Insects and pests can infest your trees and cause significant damage. If you notice signs of infestation, it's best to consult an arborist for effective pest management.
Maintaining healthy trees doesn't have to be complicated! It’s important to keep an eye on these trees and closely check up on them a few times a year. Here are three simple tips for homeowners to keep their landscape in top condition:
- Regular Watering: Ensure your trees receive adequate water, especially during dry spells. Deep watering once or twice a week is generally sufficient, but adjust the frequency based on weather conditions and tree species.
- Mulching Magic: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of your trees, keeping it away from the trunk. Mulch helps retain soil moisture, prevents weed growth, and improves overall soil health.
- Prune with Purpose: Regularly inspect your trees and trim any dead, damaged, or diseased branches. Proper pruning not only enhances the tree's appearance but also promotes healthy growth and reduces the risk of falling branches.
While the tips mentioned above are beneficial, some tree care tasks require professional expertise. Don’t risk doing something that is a professional’s job. Consider calling an arborist in these situations:
- Tree Removal: When a tree is severely damaged, diseased beyond recovery, or poses a safety risk, an arborist can safely remove it from your property.
- Emergency Situations: After a storm or natural calamity, if your trees have suffered damage or fallen, arborists can provide emergency tree services to clear the debris and ensure safety.
- Expert Diagnosis: If you are unsure about your tree's health or are facing a persistent issue, an arborist can accurately diagnose the problem and suggest appropriate solutions.
As a responsible homeowner, understanding when to call an arborist and following simple tree care tips will contribute to a flourishing landscape and ensure the beauty and safety of your property for years to come. Remember, when in doubt, always seek professional assistance for tree-related concerns.